Monday 5 July 2010

Aphids everywhere and a few things growing nicely

According to the Vancouver Sun, the cool grey weather is largely responsible for the aphid infestation in my garden (and the rust.. and the apple scab). Never had them so bad, but then have never grown fava beans before. Which they love, apparently.



Also squash



and honeysuckle



and artichoke



My little heroes are trying to cope.



I deliberately left the honesuckle alone hoping it would attract some aphid eaters. I saw a wasp on there yesterday so perhaps they've nibbled on a few, but I've been obliged to get out and blast with my soap spray to try to save what I can. And I had a nice feed of fava beans last night.



And managed to harvest my garlic yesterday despite the rust that hit it a couple of weeks ago. Going to hang it in the shed to cure today, if it ever brightens up.



Guerilla gardening? I used to think so, but it turns out we have vegetable advocates among the municipal gardeners in Saanich Parks. Each year they plant squash among the flowers, which is furtively harvested by passersby. Bless 'em!



Some experiments in propagation working out. I stuck some wisteria trimmings in a pot last fall and here's one of its children.

No comments:

Post a Comment